When the Daughters of Charity arrived in 1858, the Franciscan Friars had been serving the need of the people of Santa Barbara since 1786. They welcomed the Daughters of Charity and provided for their spiritual and sacramental needs, as well as helping them learn how to survive on this new missionary frontier of the United States of America.
Today the Franciscan Friars and the Daughters of Charity continue to grow a collaboration that began over 160 years ago. This collaboration has grown from mutual support of each Communities individual ministries to a co-sponsored ministry, the Father Virgil Cordano Center. The Father Virgil Cordano Center will reach out and welcome Santa Barbara’s most vulnerable population: our sisters and brothers who are without permanent safe housing and will provide them with a place of welcome, spiritual counseling, support for their human dignity and hope for a better future for themselves and their families.